For the cupcakes
- 4 oz Dark chocolate chips
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 C Water
- 1/3 C Oil
- 1/2 C Sour cream
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 C (3 sticks) Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 12 peppermint patties
- 4 C Confectionary Sugar
- 3 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips for 45-60 seconds or until melted. Stir until smooth and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine cake mix with remaining ingredients and mix until combined. Add melted dark chocolate last and mix into batter.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each liner 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool them completely.
Peppermint Patty Frosting
- Allow butter to come to room temperature.
- Remove peppermint patties from wrappers and use a knife to chop into small pieces
- Using the wire whisk attachment on your mixer, whip butter for several minutes until light and fluffy. You may have to stop the mixer every so often and scrape the butter off the attachment. Butter should turn light in color.
- Slowly add powered sugar one cup at a time. Alternate one cup of powdered sugar with one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. After adding the 4th cup of powdered sugar, increase speed to medium high and beat for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add peppermint patties last and mix until combined.