These Pumpkin Spice Hi-Hat Cupcakes are a dark chocolate cupcake filled with pumpkin dough topped with vanilla buttercream and dipped in a pumpkin spice magic shell.
For the Filling
- 1/2 C Unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/3 C Light brown sugar
- 1/2 C Granulated sugar
- 1 C All-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 C + 2 tbsp Pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes
- 1 box Chocolate fudge cupcake mix
- 1/4 C Dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 3/4 C Nonfat sour cream
- 3 Large eggs
- 3/4 C Milk or water
- 1/2 C Oil
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1 1/2 C (3 sticks) Unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 C Powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
For the Magic Shell
- 11 oz Nestlé Toll House Pumpkin Spice Morsels
- 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
For the Filling
- Combine butter and both sugars, beat until smooth, 1-2 minutes.
- Add flour and pumpkin pie spice. Slowly beat into the sugar, dough will be somewhat clumpy. Slowly add pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine cake mix with cocoa powder. Add sour cream, eggs, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well combined.
- Line your cupcake pan. Drop about 2 teaspoons of dough (small cookie scoop) into the bottom of the cupcake liners. Fill each one liner 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-18 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
For the frosting
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 C powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add additional 2 C powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add last 1 C powdered sugar along with 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract . Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
To assemble the cupcakes
- Frost cooled cupcakes and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Prepare magic shell and dip cupcakes into magic shell. Allow to set for 10-15 minutes until firm. I suggest to let the frosting thaw further before eating.
For the magic shell
- Combine pumpkin spice morsels and vegetable oil in a tall, microwave safe dish or cup. Melt for 45 seconds, stir until smooth. If not completely melted, microwave for another 15 seconds. Magic shell should be completely smooth.
Total time includes cooling time for the cupcakes and freezing time for the frosting. Please remember to freeze the frosted cupcakes before dipping in the magic shell!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin dessert recipes, thanksgiving dessert ideas, halloween food ideas