This post may contain affiliate sales links. Please see my full disclosure policy for details
Ever since I discovered root beer extract I have been dying to make these cupcakes. Root beer is reminiscent of summer to me. I love root beer but I don’t drink it often because of the added calories. Last week at the lake I enjoyed several thirst-quenching bottles. For lunch we would hop in the boat and drive across the lake to a little restaurant/shop called Miller’s Landing. I indulged myself with Oreo milkshakes, chicken strips, French fries and root beer; not all at once of course.
So these Root beer cupcakes are perfectly reminiscent of the lake. This is a chocolate based cupcake loaded with root beer flavor and topped with a fluffy whipped vanilla frosting. I have kind of been into the fluffy whipped frostings lately. The root beer flavor comes from a liquid called root beer concentrate. I searched high and low for it but ended up finding it at Walmart! These cupcakes are really easy to make and are sure to be a crowd pleaser!Print
For the cupcakes
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 3 Large eggs
- 1/4 C Water
- 1/2 C Milk
- 1/2 C Vegetable oil
- 1/2 C Sour cream
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp Root beer concentrate
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Preheat Oven to 350° F.
- Combine cake mix with all ingredients. Beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup 2/3 full of batter.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cupcakes are done.
- Allow cupcakes to cool for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool them completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes.
- Add last 1 cup powdered sugar along with the heavy whipping cream. Beat on low until the ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Rootbeer cake, Rootbeer cupcakes
There is something about vacation that makes you feel less guilty about Oreo shakes, chicken strips and root beers. I wish vacations lasted for longer!