There’s no sharing these Samoa Cupcake Shooters. These parfaits are layers of chocolate cake, coconut Swiss meringue buttercream, toasted coconut, chocolate sauce and caramel. Topped off with Samoa cookies, these are absolutely perfect.
- 2–3 cups chocolate cake crumbs or 6 chocolate cupcakes, unfrosted
- 6 Samoa cookies
- 1/2 cup hot fudge sauce
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- 1 batch coconut Swiss meringue buttercream
- Coconut Swiss Meringue Buttercream Makes Approximately 2 1/2 Cups
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Prepare and bake chocolate cake or cupcakes.
- For the toasted coconut: Place the shredded coconut on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Cook for 8-12 minutes until you achieve your desired color. Remove from the oven every 5 minutes and stir so that it toasts evenly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the Swiss meringue: Butter must be at room temperature. Prepare a pot of water about 2-3 inches deep and heat to a boil on medium-high heat.
- While the water is heating up. place the egg white and granulated sugar in a heat-proof bowl over the pot of water. Do not wait for it to boil. Make sure to stir the eggs whites and sugar constantly to avoid cooking the egg whites.
- Temper the egg white by heating the mixture to 150°F. The sugar should be dissolved into the egg whites.
- Remove the sugar and egg whites from heat. Using a wire whisk on your stand mixer, beat on low for two minutes. Increase to a medium speed for five minutes.
- Increase speed to high and beat until stiff peaks form, about 3-5 more minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Next, reduce speed to low and add the softened butter 1 tablespoon at a time, ensuring the butter is well mixed before adding more.
- Next, add the coconut and vanilla extract and beat for another minute or two with the wire whisk.
- Change your mixer attachment to the paddle attachment continue to beat on medium speed until the butter is well incorporated and the meringue is glossy with stiff peak, this should take about 5 more minutes or so.
- To build the shooters: Preheat the hot fudge sauce according to the instructions on the jar.
- Start by filling the bottom of your glasses with some of the cake crumbles or half of the cupcake.
- Then pipe a layer of coconut buttercream on top. Drizzle with hot fudge sauce and caramel over the buttercream and sprinkle some toasted coconut.
- Repeat these steps two more times and top these off with Samoa cookies. If using a cupcake, you might only have 2 layers
I have a tutorial for Swiss Meringue buttercream . I definitely recommend reading through this, especially if you are not familiar with how to make this type of buttercream. The butter must be at room temperature. This frosting should not be refrigerated, since it is mostly butter it will harden and you cannot recover it. So it’s best to serve these after you prepare them. Otherwise store the prepared parfaits in an airtight container at room temperature.