Enjoy a tasty treat at home. Sweet Almond Pretzels are a sweet dough pretzel with a vanilla glaze and covered in sliced almonds.
- 2 ½ C All-purpose Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 tsp Almond extract
- 1 C warm water
- For the bath
- ½ C Warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- For the topping
- 1 C Powered sugar
- 2–4 tsp Milk
- Splash of vanilla or almond extract (optional)
- Sliced almonds
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, salt, sugar and active dry yeast. Gently mix to combine ingredients.
- Add almond extract and then add water slowly. As you add the water, use your hands or a dough scraper to fold the dry ingredients into the dough. Important- you may not need the full cup of water. Feel out your dough before it gets too wet.
- Once the dough forms, you will knead it for 5 minutes until it is soft and somewhat pliable. Test your dough by poking it with your finger. If the dough springs back, it is done.
- Gently coat the dough with flour and place in a sealed plastic Ziploc bag. Allow dough to rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into dough balls about 3oz each. You should get 7-8 balls. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Roll each piece into a long strand, about 24 inches. The most successful way to stretch the dough is to start with one strand, stretch it as much as you can and then stretch all the others before going back to the first. The dough will shrink, so stretching it in steps will help this. I worked with 4 strands at a time. It is also helpful to spin the dough like a jump rope using two fingers to hold each end.
- Twist the rope. Take the end of the left side and fold it over the right. Then take the end of the right side and fold over the left. Take both ends and fold up to the top of the circle to form your pretzel. Refer to photos.
- Combine warm water and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Brush sugar water over top of pretzels and allow to rest 10 minutes before putting in the oven.
- Bake at 500°F for 8-9 minutes. I suggest to bake on parchment paper or baking mat to avoid the bottoms from burning.
- Allow pretzels to cool before topping.
- To prepare the glaze, sift the powdered sugar and slowly add mix 1 teaspoon of milk at a time until you reach your desired consistency. It should be thick. Optional: add vanilla or almond extract.
- Drizzle glaze over warm pretzels and topped with sliced almonds.
*original recipe called to brush the pretzels with melted butter when you take them out of the oven. I did not do this
* Dough recipe from King Arthur Flour “Hot Buttered Pretzels”
* During the first rise, I had better success after allowing the dough to rise for 45 minutes