This Ultimate Eggnog Poke Cake is an eggnog spice cake, soaked in eggnog and filled with eggnog pudding. It’s all topped off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
- 1 package Vanilla cake mix (15.25oz)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup spiced rum
- ½ cup eggnog
For the topping
- 2 1/2 cups eggnog, divided
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
- ¼ cup spiced rum
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the vanilla cake mix with: eggs, vegetable oil, rum and eggnog. Beat until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×3″ pan and bake at 350° F for 20-25 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour 1 cup of eggnog over the cake and allow it to soak in the cake for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pudding topping. Combine vanilla pudding, 1 1/2 cups eggnog and rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until pudding is dissolved. Do not allow pudding the get firm. Pour the pudding over top of the cake and then put it in the refrigerator. The pudding will soak into cake and get firm while refrigerating. Allow 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream by placing the bowl and whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes until completely cold. Whip heavy cream on medium high speed for several minutes until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium high until stiff peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream and dust with nutmeg. Keep refrigerated.
In order to make this a “virgin” poke cake, wherever this recipe calls for rum, simply substitute it with more eggnog.