This Ultimate Eggnog Poke Cake is an eggnog spice cake, soaked in eggnog and filled with eggnog pudding. It’s all topped off with whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
For the cake:
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (296 ml) eggnog
- 1/4 cup (59ml) spiced rum
For the toppings
- 2 1/2 cups (591ml) eggnog, divided
- 1 package (3.4oz) instant vanilla pudding
- ¼ cup (59ml) spiced rum
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (65g) powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Combine the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the batter, and then add half of the eggnog and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients, and the remaining eggnog and rum. Beat on low speed until all of the ingredients are well combined. Stir with a spatula to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 28-32 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely prior to frosting.
- Poke the holes: While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour 1 cup of eggnog over the cake and allow it to soak in the cake for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pudding topping. Combine vanilla pudding, 1 1/2 cups eggnog and rum, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until pudding is dissolved. Do not allow pudding the get firm. Pour the pudding over top of the cake and then put it in the refrigerator. The pudding will soak into cake and get firm while refrigerating. Allow 10-15 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream by placing the bowl and whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes until completely cold. Whip heavy cream on medium high speed for several minutes until soft peaks form. Add the powdered sugar and beat on medium high until stiff peaks form. Top cake with whipped cream and dust with nutmeg. Keep refrigerated.
- Alcohol free option: Wherever this recipe calls for rum, simply substitute it with more eggnog.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Eggnog Cake, Christmas dessert, Cake recipe, Poke Cake