These homemade Spiced Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream are the perfect texture and spice for fall.
- 1 ¼ C All-purpose flour
- ½ tso Baking powder
- ½ tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp All-spice or Nutmeg
- ½ C (1 stick) Unsalted butter, browned
- ½ C Granulated sugar
- ½ C Light brown sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ C Sour cream
- For the frosting:
- 3/4 C Unsalted butter, cold.
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tbsp Caramel Sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350° F. Line your cupcake pan with baking liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all spice. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, increase heat to medium-high and continue stirring another 2-3 minutes until butter turns a light brown color and releases a nutty aroma. Add brown butter to mixing bowl and combine with sugar and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined; scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract and stir until mixed.
- Slowly add dry ingredients while beating on low speed. Lastly, add sour cream and beat until all ingredients are well combine, but do not over mix.
- Scoop batter into lined cupcake pan using a large cookie scoop (about 3 tablespoons each). Bake at 350°F and bake for 18-20 minutes.
- For the frosting:
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 C powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add additional 1 C powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 2-3 minutes. Add heavy whipping cream and caramel (optional) and beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 2-3 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Frost cooled cupcakes.