This mouthwatering moist chocolate cupcake recipe is a homemade chocolate cupcake topped with a silky chocolate cream cheese frosting.
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (285g)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (118 ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (15 ml)
- ½ cup light sour cream (118 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (5g) (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder (9 g)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (2 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 1 ¼ cup coffee (355 ml)
For the frosting:
- ¾ cups (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup +2 tablespoons cocoa powder (69g)
- 6 cups powdered sugar (780 g)
- 2 tablespoons milk or heavy whipping cream (30 ml)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (15ml)
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining coffee and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 1-2 minutes until it is slightly softened.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy and free of lumps, scape down the bowl occasionally.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat until well combined,
- Next, add the confectionary sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract and beat for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and beat until desired consistency, at least 2 minutes.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large open star pipping tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Keep in an airtight container.
- If you need to substitute the sour cream, use nonfat Greek Yogurt
- If you need to substitute the coffee, use milk