This mouthwatering homemade Chocolate Cupcakes recipe makes perfectly moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a silky chocolate cream cheese frosting.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) sour cream, at room temperature
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup (40 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 tablespoon (5g) espresso powder (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (296 ml) hot brewed coffee
For the Frosting:
- ¾ cups (170g) unsalted butter, cold
- 8 ounces (226g) full-fat cream cheese, cold
- ½ cup +2 tablespoons (50g) cocoa powder, sfited
- 6 cups (780 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) milk or heavy whipping cream
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, followed by half of the coffee, and mix until the flour is just incorporated at a low speed. Then add the remaining dry ingredients and coffee. Beat until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the Frosting:
- Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 3-4 minutes until it’s softened, light and fluffy.
- Then add the cream cheese and cream together for 2-3 minutes until they are well combined and free of lumps, scrape down the bowl occasionally.
- Next, add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Next, add the powdered sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream, and beat for 60-90 seconds until completely smooth. Add the remaining powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream and beat until desired consistency, at least 2 minutes. Transfer the frosting to a large piping bag fitted with a large open star piping tip, pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes.
Ingredients & Substitutions
- Cocoa powder: I prefer to use Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder for a nice rich flavor and color. Otherwise, a natural, unsweetened cocoa powder is the next best option.
- Coffee substitute: I recommend using milk. You should still heat the milk in the microwave for approximately 60 seconds.
- Sour Cream. Use plain or Greek yogurt.
Storing and Freezing
- Make Ahead of time: These can be prepared up to 2 days in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you live in a hot or humid climate, then they should be refrigerated. Serve at room temperature for best results.
- Freezing: I recommend freezing them unfrosted. You can freeze the prepared cupcakes airtight. Thaw overnight in the fridge, then bring to room temperature before frosting. I recommend freezing for up to one month and frosting the day of serving for best results.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy cupcake recipe, homemade cupcakes, best chocolate cupcake recipe