These Baked Chiptole Chicken Taquitos are filled with chicken, beans, cheese and a spicy tomatillo avocado salsa. Baked and not fried, these crispy taquitos are the perfect weekday dinner.
For the taquitos
- 1 pound chicken breast, seasoned, cooked and shredded
- 1 chipotle pepper and 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (Chipotles in adobe sauce)
- Juice of 1 large lime,
- 1 can (16oz) refried beans (black or pinto)
- 3/4–1 cup finely shredded cheese (Mexican blend or cheddar)
- 30 corn tortillas (5–6 inches in diameter)
Tomatillo Avocado Salsa
- 3 medium tomatillos
- 1 garlic clove
- 1–2 serrano peppers
- 1 ripe avocado
- juiced of half a lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- Pinch of salt
- Season and grill the chicken until thoroughly cooked.
- Use your stand mixer or two forks to shred the chicken into small pieces.
- Stir in 2 chipotle peppers and 2 teaspoons of adobe sauce. Toss the chicken until thoroughly coated. Squeeze the lime juice over the chicken and toss.
- Prepare a can of refried beans, cooking over medium to low heat until the beans are well heated.
- Prepare a batch of tomatillo avocado salsa. In a small food processor, combine the tomatillos, garlic and serrano peppers. Blend until smooth. Next add the avocado, lime juice and salt and blend until thoroughly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Wrap 6 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel. Microwave for 45 seconds.
- Take one tortilla and assemble the filling in the middle of the tortilla. One spoonful of refried beans, about 1-2 teaspoon of tomatillo salsa, a pinch of cheese and shredded chicken.
- Roll the tortillas tightly and place seam-side down on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake at 450°F for for 10-12 minutes. Rotate the taquitos so the seam side is up and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season grilled chicken with taco seasoning or something similar
- Consider using rotisserie chicken to cut down on the prep time. Pull apart the chicken and then add the adobe sauce and chipotles.
- Taquito Recipe adapted from Trish’s cookbook, you may know Trish from Mom on Timeout
- Avocado Salsa recipe from Rick Baylass
- To store leftovers: These will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Cool completely before storing.
- To reheat leftovers: Pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Out of the microwave, they are a little soft, so I like to then crisp them in the microwave oven for a couple of minutes.
- Save leftover chipotle and adobo sauce. Place 2 chipotles about 1 tablespoon of sauce in a Ziploc bag. Seal and freeze.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Chicken Dinner, rotisserie chicken dinner ideas, easy chicken dinner ideas, baked taquitos