These boozy shamrock shake cakes are so cute and made with Bailey’s Irish Cream. This dessert is perfect for St.Patrick’s Day!
For the cupcake
- ¾ cups (143g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon mint extract
- ¼ cup (59ml) sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (118ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) Bailey’s Irish Cream (see notes)
- Green food coloring
For the frosting
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, cold
- ¼ cup (28g) vanilla malt powder
- 3 ½ cups (455g) powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Baileys Irish cream (see notes)
- Pinch of salt
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla and mint extract. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the liquid ingredients at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Add the green food coloring and mix until combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the frosting
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter is very fluffy.
- Adding the vanilla malt powder and 2 cups of powdered sugar the vanilla extract & heavy cream. Beat until well combined, and fluffy. Add remaining powdered sugar and Baileys. Add a pinch of salt. Ensure the powdered sugar is well combined, then and whip for 2-3 minutes. Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Alcohol-free cupcakes: In the cupcake batter, swap with milk. In the frosting, swap with heavy whipping cream.
- Sour-cream substitute: Greek yogurt or plain yogurt is best
- Malt powder substitute: Swap it out with powdered sugar
- Category: Cupcake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: St Patrick's day dessert, Shamrock Shake, St Patricks day cupcakes,