These Soft and Chewy Brown Butter Chocolate chip cookies are made with a nutty brown butter, chunks of dark chocolate and a touch of sea salt on top. They are perfectly crispy on the edges but soft and chewy in the middle.
- ½ cup (144g) butter, browned
- 2 tablespoon (29g) butter, melted
- ½ cup (55g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (48g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup (135g) roughly chopped chocolate bar
- Flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- To brown the butter (1/2 cup), use a small saucepan, and cut the butter into pieces. Melt the butter over medium heat and allow it to boil and bubble. Once it’s starts boiling, stir it frequently and it will slowly start to turn an amber color and releases a nutty aroma. Remove the butter from the heat and allow it to cool for several minutes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 15-30 seconds. In a large mixing bowl, combine both the melted and browned butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the egg and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until dough starts to form.
- Before the dough thickens, add the chocolate chunks. Beat until incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking sheet. Scoop the dough using a large cookie scoop and place on baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. The center of the cookies should be slightly under baked but not too gooey. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Right when the cookies come out of the oven, use a knife to flatten out any chocolate chunks on top and give it that smeared chocolate look.
- For the chocolate chunks, I like to roughly chop a thick chocolate bar. Pieces should be no larger than a dime
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy chocolate chip cookies, brown butter cookies,