Complete with a crunchy breadcrumb topping, this Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese is the next level of comfort food. It’s loaded with two different cheeses, tender shredded chicken and classic hot buffalo flavor!
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (rotisserie works great)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup blue cheese dressing or crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (optional)
- thinly sliced green onion for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and spray a 2-quart casserole dish or 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter, and cook the onion for 4 minutes, then add the garlic and celery and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Next, stir in the flour and cook for a minute, then whisk in the milk and continue stirring until it’s slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add the cheese, stirring until melted, then add the sour cream and hot sauce. Then stir in the chicken and cooked noodles. Pour into the prepared pan.
- To make the topping, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter and stir into the panko, then spread over the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until bubbly and the top is lightly browned.
- Remove and drizzle with blue cheese dressing and extra hot sauce, then garnish with parsley and green onion. Serve while hot.
Storage & Reheating: Once cooled, refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container and store for up to 5 days. Reheat large portions in a 375°F oven for 15-20 minutes, covering the pan with aluminum foil to prevent the topping from over-browning. Individual servings can be reheated in the microwave.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: buffalo mac and cheese, mac and cheese with chicken, buffalo chicken pasta