Easy Halloween Cupcakes! Everyone is sure to love these vanilla cupcakes with swirled buttercream frosting decorated to look like candy corn.
For the cupcakes
- 2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup(118 ml) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cups (296 ml) milk (I use nonfat)
- Gel colors for dying cake batter
For the frosting
- 2 cups (452 g) unsalted butter, cold.
- 7 cups (911 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons (30ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Gel colors for dying frosting
For the cupcake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half of the dry ingredients and half of the milk and beat on low speed just until the flour starts to incorporate. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on low speed until all of the ingredients are well combined. Generously scrape down the bowl.
- Divide the cake batter into 3 equal bowls, about 1 2/3 cups each. To one bowl, add 3 drops of orange gel color and stir until well combined. To another bowl, add 3 drops of yellow gel color and stir until well combined. Leave the third bowl undyed.
- Spoon the batter in the pan, 1 tablespoon of each color per cupcake: yellow on the bottom, orange in the middle and the undyed batter on top. Once finished, tap the pan on the counter a couple of times to settle the batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the frosting
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until the butter looks light in color.
- Alternate adding 2 cups of powdered sugar at a time with the liquid ingredients: vanilla extract & heavy cream. Ensure the powdered sugar is well combined, then and whip for 1-2 minutes before adding more powdered sugar. Repeat until all ingredients are added.
- Once all the powdered sugar has been added, increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Equally divide the frosting into 3 bowls. To one bowl, add 3 drops of orange gel color and stir until well combined. To another bowl, add 3 drops of yellow gel color and stir until well combined.
- Lay out a piece of plastic wrap, spread (or use a Ziploc bag to pipe) a thick row of each color of frosting side-by-side onto the clear wrap. Fold the plastic wrap up and tightly roll, twist one end, and cut the tip off. Drop the plastic wrap into a piping bag fitted with an Ateco 846 (or any large tip). Decorate cool cupcakes and top with sprinkles and candy corn.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Halloween Desserts, Easy Halloween Cupcakes