This decadent Caramel Hot Chocolate Mousse Brownies Cake is three layers of dessert bliss. The fudgy brownie is topped with a layer of hot chocolate mousse and a caramel whipped cream. A chocolate lover’s dream dessert!
For the brownie layer:
- 1 package fudgy chocolate brownie mix (19.9 oz box)
- Ingredients listed on the box: oil, eggs, water
For the hot chocolate mousse:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup hot chocolate powder (about 4 packages)
For the caramel whipped cream:
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon caramel extract (or vanilla)
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
For the topping (optional)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup hot chocolate powder (about 2 packages)
- Caramel sauce for garnish
- For the brownie layer: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the brownie mix, with the ingredients listed on the box. Stir until the batter is well combined and there are no dry ingredients left.
- Pour the batter into the spring form pan and spread evenly. Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes until the center is baked but still slightly fudgy. Allow the brownie to cool completely.
- For the hot chocolate mousse: Beat the softened cream cheese together with the granulated sugar until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Next, slowly add the heavy whipping cream, about a ¼ cup at a time as you continue to beat the cream cheese at a medium speed. The cream cheese should resemble a liquid consistency prior to adding all the remaining heavy whipping cream. Increase the mixer to high speed and beat until soft peaks form.
- Then, slowly add the hot chocolate powder, mixing at a low speed until incorporated. Increase the mixer to high speed and beat until stiff peaks form. Spread the hot chocolate mousse over top of the cooled brownie.
- For the caramel whipped cream: Chill the mixing bowl and whisk again. Place 1 tablespoon of cold water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water, trying to spread the powder evenly. Allow the gelatin to turn to a solid (about 2-3 minutes).
- Next, melt the solid gelatin in the microwave for 3-5 seconds until it turns back to a liquid. Watch it closely! Set aside.
- Prepare the whipping cream. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken.
- Next, pour the liquid gelatin into the heavy cream and add the brown sugar. Continue to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until incorporated.
- Spoon the caramel sauce into the heavy cream and beat until well mixed.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until incorporated. Then increase the mixer to high speed and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the caramel whipped cream over the hot chocolate mousse. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- For the topping (optional): Prepare a batch of hot chocolate whipped cream. Chill the mixing bowl for 10 minutes. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream starts to thicken.
- Next, add the powdered hot cocoa and continuing beating until stiff peak form. Pipe the border of cake using a large open round tip. Drizzle with caramel sauce.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: brownie cake, hot chocolate dessert, chocolate dessert, chocolate mousse