These from-scratch Cherry Funfetti Almond Cupcakes combine the sweet cherry flavor with the buttery almonds. It’s such a fun way to change up your classic Funfetti cupcake.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup sprinkles
For the frosting
- 1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2–3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Maraschino cherry for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Add half the flour followed by the baking powder and salt, and beat on low speed while pouring in half of the buttermilk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining flour, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining buttermilk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined. Stir in the sprinkles.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Careful not to overfill.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then add the vanilla and almond extract and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Next, add an additional 2 cups of powdered sugar and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of the cherry juice.
- Add last 1 cup powdered sugar along with the heavy whipping cream. Add additional cherry juice for taste if needed. Beat on low until ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Use a large piping tip (such as 2D or 1M) to decorate these cupcakes and top with a cherry and sprinkles.