These Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes start with a homemade vanilla cupcake with crushed chocolate chip cookies mixed in. It’s topped with a Chocolate Chip Cookie Frosting made with crushed cookies, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
For the cupcakes:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups milk (I use nonfat)
- 2 cups roughly chopped Chocolate Chip Cookies (such as Chips Ahoy)
For the frosting:
- 4 sticks (2 cups) unsalted butter, cold
- 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 15 Chocolate Chip cookies, crushed into fine crumbs
- 1 bag (8oz) Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies for garnish (optional)
- Mini chocolate chips for garnish (optional)
- For the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Add half the flour followed by the baking powder and salt and beat on low speed while pouring in half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining flour, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining milk and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed
- In a large Ziploc bag, crushed the chocolate chip cookies into small pieces using a rolling pin or something similar. Fold the crushed cookies into the cupcake batter.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Careful not to overfill.
- Bake at 350°F for 18-22 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- For the frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat the butter until it looks lighter in color.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar 2 cups at a time, mixing on low speed until it’s incorporated into the butter. Then increase the speed to high and beat for 30-60 seconds. Repeat until all your powdered sugar and brown sugar have been added, alternate adding the heavy cream and vanilla extract as you add the powdered sugar.
- In a food processor, grind the chocolate chip cookies into a fine crumbs. Add the crushed cookies to the frosting. Slowly beat the crumbs into the frosting then beat at a high speed for 60 seconds.
- In a large piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes and place an mini on the side or mini chocolate chips. Store in an air tight container.
- You’ll need one full size bag of Chip Ahoy for the cupcakes and frosting
- You’ll need an additional bag of mini Chips Ahoy for the garnish