If you love chocolate, you’ll love this Chocolate Oreo Icebox Cake. The layers are built with chocolate graham crackers, a chocolate Oreo mousse, whipped cream and plenty of Oreos and fudge on top!
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soften
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 24 Oreos, crushed
- 1 box (14.4 oz) chocolate graham crackers
For the topping:
- 1 ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Hot fudge sauce for drizzle
- 6 Oreos
- Allow the cream cheese to soften at room temperature for about 30 minutes or soften in the microwave. To soften in the microwave, remove the wrapper and place the cream cheese on a plate. Microwave for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese for 2 to 3 minutes until it is completely smooth.
- Add ¼ cup of the heavy whipping cream and beat it into cream cheese until cream cheese resembles a liquid mixture.
- Then add all the remaining heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract and beat on medium-high speed. Once the cream starts to thicken, slowly add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and beat until soft peaks form.
- Place the Oreos in a large Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin or another heavy object to crushed the Oreos. Add the crushed Oreos to the chocolate mousse, folding until they are well incorporated.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. I prefer to hand it out of the edges and close the pan around it, but you can cut a 9-inch circle to fit as well.
- Align the chocolate graham crackers in the bottom of the pan. It is okay to cut the crackers to fit as needed, but the more large/whole pieces you have, the better structure they will provide.
- Divide the chocolate Oreo mousse in half. Spread half of the mousse over the bottom layer of graham crackers. It helps if you hold the graham crackers in place with your fingers if they are sliding around.
- Next, add a second layer of graham crackers and spread the remaining mousse.Finally, add the third and final layer of the graham crackers.
- For the topping: (you can add now and freeze or add before serving)
- Put your mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer for 15 minutes until it is completely cold. Whip the heavy cream on medium high speed for several minutes until it’s starts to thicken .
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on medium high until stiff peaks form. Measure out about 1 1/2 cups of the prepared whipped cream to pipe the borders. Spread the remaining whipped cream over top of the cake. Use a large star tip to pipe the border.
- Cover this with aluminum foil and freeze for 2 to 4 hours. OR you can choose to keep this in the refrigerator, but allow at least 4 hours for the graham crackers to soften.
- Prior to serving, remove the icebox cake from the freezer and allow it to thaw for 20 minutes. Crush 6 Oreos and sprinkle over top of the cake. Drizzle warm Hot Fudge sauce over the Oreos.
Cooking time is the “freezing” time
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Assemble
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: oreo icebox cake, oreo desserts, easy icebox cake, chocolate icebox dessert