This Classic Sour Cream Coffee Cake is a dense cake that is topped with the best brown sugar streusel. It goes perfectly with a cup of coffee!
For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
For the streusel
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Allow butter to come to room temperature or microwave for 10-15 seconds. Cream butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs into batter and beat until well incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Next, add sour cream and vanilla extract and beat until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour (sifting is optional but recommended) and combine with baking powder and salt. Slowly had the flour and beat at a low speed just until flour is mixed. Turn off your mixer and use a spatula and mix by hand until well combined. Make sure to turn the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it is well mixed.
- To prepare the streusel, melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl for 30 seconds. Combine butter with all dry ingredients. Mix together until well blended. Add chopped pecans.
- Spray the bottom of a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the bottom of the pan and spread evenly. Then sprinkle half of the streusel over the batter. Top with remaining batter and streusel.
- Bake at 350°F for 32-35 minutes. Check the coffee cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, then the cake is done. Allow to cool completely.
- To prepare the glaze, Sift powerded sugar into a bowl. This step is necessary to create a smooth glaze. Add heavy cream (or milk) and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Mixture will be thick.
- SLOWLY squeeze in the lemon juice and mix to cut the sweetness until desired taste.
- For a thicker glaze, add only 1 tablespoon of milk instead of 2. Or add additional powdered sugar. There is no secret to the glaze, you have to alternate milk and powdered sugar until desired consistency and taste.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sour cream coffee cake, recipe for sour cream coffee cake, sour cream coffee cake recipe, classic coffee cake recipe, coffee cake recipe, recipe for coffee cake, coffee cake with sour cream