These light and fluffy muffins are full of chewy shredded coconut and plump fresh blueberries.
- 9 oz Fresh Blueberries, rinsed
- 2 1/2 C Flour
- 1 C Granulated sugar
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Large egg
- 1/2 C Butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 tsp Coconut extract
- 1 C Buttermilk
- 1/4 C Sour cream
- 1/2 C Shredded Coconut
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1/2 C Macadamia nuts
- 1/4 C Shredded Coconut
- 6 tbsp Flour
- 5 tbsp Brown sugar
- Wash and rinse blueberries under water and set aside in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour. Measure ¼ C of the sifted flour and pour over blueberries. Gently stir to coat the blueberries in flour.
- Take your remaining flour and add sugar, baking powder and salt. Then set this mixture aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the egg using a whisk until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and whisk together with the egg. Continue to add coconut extract, buttermilk and sour cream and whisk everything together until smooth.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix just until combined. Your batter will be thick, but careful not to over mix! Lastly, fold in the blueberries and shredded coconut.
- To prepare streusel topping, combine butter with all dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until no large chunks remain.
- Grease your muffin pan with Crisco. I like to use Crisco instead of oil spray, but a spray works fine too.
- Fill your muffin tin all the way to the top with batter. Add 1 tablespoon of streusel to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425° and then reduce heat to 350° and bake for another 16-20 minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 15 minutes, you will see how nicely the muffins rise. Baking times will vary by oven.
- Check your muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If your toothpick comes out clean, your muffin is done. Allow muffins to cool completely in the pan. You can also cool on a wire rack, but you want to allow them to cool enough to remove and transport them out of the pan.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coconut muffins