Topped with an coconut buttercream frosting and toasted coconut, these Coconut Cupcakes are infused with sweet coconut flavor in every bite.
- ¾ cups (143g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (59 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon (14g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (59ml) sour cream
- 1 ¼ cups (175g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (158ml) coconut milk, well stirred
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, cold
- 3 cups (390g) powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) coconut extract (additional to taste)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk or coconut milk)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- ½ cup toasted coconut
For the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs, sour cream and extracts. Beat on medium speed until well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the coconut milk at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
- Toast the coconut in the preheat oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, spread the coconut evenly on the pan. Bake for 5-8 minutes, or until desired color is reach. Transfer to a bowl or plate to stop the cooking process. Cool completely.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 3-5 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until the butter looks light in color and has increased in volume.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter then continuing adding additional powdered sugar, alternating with the extracts and heavy cream. After each additional cup of powdered sugar, beat for about 60 seconds on medium-high or until the powdered sugar is well combined.
- Beat the finished frosting on medium-high speed for another 2-4 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Prepare a large piping bag with an open round tip (Ateco 808 or similar) or just cut off the end of the bag. Fill the piping bag with half the frosting.
- Prepare a large piping with a 1M piping tip. Fill with the remaining frosting.
- Pipe a circle around the outside edge of the cupcake, and then roll the cupcake in a plate of toasted coconut. Using the 1M tip, pipe the middle of the cupcake with frosting.
• The recipe is for 12 cupcakes, but you could easily double it for 24 cupcakes.
• Ingredient substations:
- Sour cream can be substituted with plain or Greek yogurt
- Coconut extract can be substituted with vanilla extract
- Coconut milk can be substituted with whole milk
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: cupcakes with coconut, coconut buttercream frosting, easy coconut desserts