These chewy Chocolate Coconut Macaroons are fancy Italian cookies that you can make with ease. If you’re in the mood for a decadent dessert but not a ton of calories, whip up these chocolate coconut treats!
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon anise extract (or sub additional vanilla)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 3 ounces chocolate melting wafers (or almond bark)
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar for approximately 2 minutes, until soft peaks form.
- Next, add the granulated sugar and both extracts, beating until combined.
- Fold in the coconut.
- Use 2 spoons or a 3-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop out the coconut mixture, pressing it in with your hands to form a ball with a flat edge. Place the dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet approximately 2 inches apart.
- Bake the macaroons for approximately 22-25 minutes, or until the undersides of the cookies are light brown. Do not over-bake them or they will dry out.
- Allow the macaroons to cool on the cookie sheet.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt half of the chocolate wafers at 50% power in 30 second intervals. Stir after each interval and continue until the chocolate is melted. Reduce the microwave time as needed so the chocolate does not burn.
- Dip the bottom of each macaroon into the melted chocolate, and then place them upside down to let the chocolate cool. Once the chocolate has set, melt the remaining chocolate as directed above and drizzle it overtop the cookies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: coconut cookies, chocolate macaroons, gluten free cookies, passover dessert