Take your favorite desserts up a notch with the best coffee buttercream frosting! This coffee frosting recipe is full of rich espresso flavors, made with real espresso powder.
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (12g) instant espresso powder, divided
- 1 ½ cups (339g) butter, cold
- 6 cups (780g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Microwave the heavy whipping cream for 15 seconds, then dissolve 1 tablespoon of instant espresso into the cream. Place in the freezer to quickly cool it down and ensure it’s chilled before adding it to the frosting.
- Cut the cold butter into tablespoon-size pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally until the butter is whipped and easily spreadable.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and beat at a medium-high speed until well combined, then beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Next, add the remaining powdered sugar with the heavy cream and remaining espresso powder. Beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 3-5 minutes. Use immediately or store.
- Additional instant espresso powder can be added for an even stronger flavor.
- This recipe makes 4 cups of coffee frosting, enough to frost 24 cupcakes or a two-layer 6-inch cake. You can halve the recipe to frost a 9×13-inch cake.
- Category: Frosting
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: coffee buttercream, coffee frosting, best buttercream frosting