These bites have a crispy cinnamon sugar coating on the outside with gooey apple pie filling in the center.
For the Bites:
- 1 qt Vegetable oil
- 1 pk Prepared refrigerated pie crust
- 1 can Lucky Leaf Apple Pie Filling
- 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
For the Coating:
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ½ C Sugar
- ¼ C Cinnamon
- Preheat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Oil should reach temperatures between 350°-375° F. It is best to use a candy thermometer.
- While oil is heating, prepare the dumplings. Preheat pie filling on stovetop over medium heat until warm. Combine with maple syrup and cinnamon. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove pie crust from packaging. Roll out slightly to help thin it out.
- First, cut circles, at least 3.25” in diameter and then cut circles in half. Once I ran out of crust, I combined the leftovers and re-rolled the crust to cut more circles.
- Take one half of the circle and spoon some pie filling into the middle.
- Use your fingers to pinch the edges to seal. It will be helpful if you have a spoon or butter knife to help keep these stuffed as you are pinching the edges.
- Use extreme caution for next step. Oil will be very hot. When the oil is heated, carefully place several pie bites in the oil to fry. Use a set of long tongs to turn the pie bites over and the first side begins to turn light brown (about 30 seconds per side).
- After each side is browned, use tongs to remove from oil and place on a plate lined with paper towels to cool.
- When all bites are finished, prepare the coating. In a microwave safe bowl, melt butter, about 20-30 seconds.
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine cinnamon and sugar. Add additional cinnamon if desired.
- Brush each side of the pie bites with butter using a pastry brush. Place into Ziploc bag and seal the bag.
- Gently shake the bag until pie bites are coated with cinnamon and sugar. Remove from bag and serve.
- Allow oil to cool completely before cleaning your deep fryer.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mini apple pies, apple fritters, apple desserts