Soft and chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies made with real lemon zest! These easy homemade lemon cookies are filled with bright, fresh flavors and are perfect for spring baking.
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) lemon extract
- 2 medium lemons, zested
- 3 cups (420g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking sheet.
- Combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Mix into the butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Slowly add into the dough and beat on medium-low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Use a large cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Roll each ball of dough in the granulated sugar then place the dough about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
Storing and Freezing
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for one week.
- Baked cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the cookies at room temperature.
- Cookie dough can also be frozen. Portion out the dough ahead of time, do not roll in sugar, and flash freeze on a cookie sheet for about 30 minutes. Then transfer the balls of cookie dough to a freezer-friendly airtight container or Ziploc bag (remove excess air). Thaw to room temperature prior to baking, and roll in granulated sugar.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon sugar cookies, lemon desserts, easy sugar cookies