Refreshing strawberry cupcakes filled with a light and airy mousse and topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 package vanilla cake mix
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the Filling and Topping:
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding (3.4oz)
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ containers Cool Whip (8 oz containers)
- Fresh strawberries for garnish
For the Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F and line a cupcake pan with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine white cake mix with water, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream and strawberry extract. Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Chop the strawberries into dime-size pieces and toss with 1 tablespoon of flour. The flour prevents the strawberries from sinking to the bottom of the cupcake. Add the coated strawberries to the cake batter and fold to incorporate.
- Divide batter evenly between cupcake liners, about 3 tablespoons for each cupcake.
- Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes, baking times will vary by oven. Check the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
For the Filling:
- In a small bowl, combined pudding mix, and milk and whisk until the pudding mix is dissolved. Refrigerate for 10 minutes until the pudding is firm.
- To make the homemade whipped cream, place a metal mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes until it is completely cold. Whip the heavy cream at medium-high speed for several minutes until it starts to thicken.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on medium-high until stiff peaks form. Stir the prepared whipped cream into the firmed pudding and fold until well mixed.
- Remove a small piece of the center of your cupcake, using the melon baller or knife. Cut about ⅔ of the way down. Set the tops aside.
- Spoon the mousse into a large plastic bag (such as a Ziploc bag) and cut off the tip. Fill the center of the cupcakes with the mousse, dividing evenly between each cupcake. Place the tops of the cupcakes back over the pudding and gently press down.
For the Topping:
- Pipe the Cool Whip onto the cupcakes using a large open star tip and keep them refrigerated until you are ready to serve. Remove the cupcakes from the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving and top with a fresh strawberry.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: strawberry cupcakes, easy cupcakes