If you love Fruity Pebbles, this poke cake is for you! This is a Fruity Pebble filled vanilla cake, soaked in sweetened condensed milk and topped with a Fruity Pebble Whipped Cream.
For the Cake
- 1 heaping cup (36g) Fruity Pebble Cereal
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup(118 ml) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cups (296 ml) milk
- 1 can (14oz/396g) Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup (18g) Fruity Pebble Cereal
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Pulse the Fruity Pebble cereal in a food processor a couple of times to break into smaller pieces.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Then add the sour cream and mix to combine.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add half the dry ingredients, and half the milk, beat on low speed just until the flour starts to incorporate. Repeat until all ingredients are added and combined. Stir the Fruity Pebble in using a spatula and scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13 inch pan. Bake at 350° F for 28 to 32 minutes. Check the cakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Allow the cake to cool.
Make the Topping & Assemble
- Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill. Grind the cereal into a fine crumb.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens to soft peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and Fruity Pebble crumbs and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks start to form.
- Take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over top of the cake and spread gently with a spatula. Allow the sweetened condensed milk to absorb into the cake.
- Spread the whipped cream over top of the cake. Chill for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
Storing: The cake can be prepared and stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days in advance. Once the whipped topping is added, this needs to be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It will last for 3-5 days.
Preparing: The cake on its own can be made and store at room temperature for up to two days. Once you add the condensed milk and whipped topping, it needs to be refrigerated.
Make with cake mix: To make the original version of this cake, use 1 (15oz) box of vanilla cake mix, and the ingredients listed on the box: eggs, oil, water (or sub milk) and 1 ½ cups Fruity Pebble Cereal. Bake for 28-32 minutes.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: poke cake recipe, fruity pebble dessert, fruity pebbles tres leches cake