Bakery Style Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies are thick with chewy centers and crispy edges and finished with flakey sea salt.
- 1 cup(226g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups (330g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar
- 2 large egg
- 2 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoon (30ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups(350g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup(180g) chopped chocolate (see notes)
- 1 cup (180 g) chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Allow the butter to soften for 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a silicone baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar: Combine the butter with the brown and granulated sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients: Next add the eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine and slowly add the dry ingredients into the dough, mixing on low speed until dough starts to form. As the dough thickens, add the chocolate chips. Beat until incorporated.
- Scoop the dough: Using a large cookie scoop, place two scoops of the dough, one stacked on top of the other, and place on baking sheet at least 3 inches apart, 5 cookies will fit on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Bake for 15-16 minutes. The center of the cookies should be slightly under baked but not too gooey. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Chocolate chips vs chopped chocolate: Any type of chocolate chips can be used. I like to use a combination of chocolate chip and a chopped chocolate bar, but that’s optional. The chocolate bar melts down to make the pools of chocolate. If you don’t want to do this, then use 2 cups (1- 12oz bag of chocolate chips).
- Butter: I’ve made this recipe with both salted and unsalted butter. Either will work. If using salted butter, reduce the added salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
- Storing and Freezing baked cookies: These are best stored in an airtight container once completely cooled. You can also freeze these baked cookies in an airtight container. Microwave the frozen cookies for approximately 15-20 seconds.
- This recipe makes 10 large cookies but it can easily be cut in half to make 5 cookies. These are large and they can spread a bit, so I only bake 5 at a time on a large cookie sheet.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Americsn
Keywords: Chocolate chip cookie, Big Cookie Recipe, bakery style chocolate chip cookies