This Guinness Chocolate Cake is moist, fluffy chocolate cake spiked with Guinness Stout Beer and topped with a Baileys Irish Cream Frosting.
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (285g)
- ½ cup vegetable oil (118 ml)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (15 ml)
- 3/4 cup sour cream (177 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280g)
- ½ cup cocoa powder (55 g)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder (5g) (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder (5 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (4 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 1 ¼ cup Guinness (355 ml)
For the frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter (236g)
- 4 cups powdered sugar (520g)
- 3 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream (44ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5g)
- Pinch of salt
- For the cake:Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the Guinness and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally, add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining Guinness and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 28-30 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- For the frosting: Remove the butter from the refrigerator and microwave for 10 seconds. Cut the butter into 1-inch blocks. Beat the butter for 2-4 minutes until it is softened and silky.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Next, add the remaining powdered sugar 2 cups at a time, followed by the Baileys. Start beating slowly until the ingredients are incorporated and then increase the speed to high and beat for another minute or two until the frosting is light and fluffy,
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and then dust with cocoa powder, sprinkles or chocolate ganache. Keep in an airtight container.