Loaded with cheese and tomato sauce, this Hamburger Noodle Casserole is an easy, cheesy casserole that’s perfect for busy weeknights. Comfort food at its finest!
- 12 ounces wide egg noodle
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Dash of pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 scallions, top chopped
- 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil, and cook the egg noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and then cook the ground beef until it’s no longer pink in the middle. Add the garlic and continue cooking until the meat is browned. Drain excess fat.
- Next add the tomato sauce, salt, sugar and pepper and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cream cheese and sour cream and mix until well combined. Add the chopped scallions and mix to combine. In the large saucepan, combine the cream cheese mixture with the egg noodles.
- Spray a 9×13 inch casserole dish with cookie spray. Add half the noodle mixture to the bottom of the container and then spoon half the beef mixture over top. Gently stir to combine. Top with half the cheddar cheese. Add the remaining noodle mixture and beef on top, gently stir and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until bubbling and the cheese has melted.
Prepare ahead of time: Makeup to 24 hours in advance. Just follow the instructions as noted and stop before the final step of baking. Cover with foil and pop the pan in the fridge. When you bake it the next day, you may need to add a few minutes to the baking time. Cover it with foil if it looks like the cheese is browning before it’s heated through. Alternatively, you can bring it to room temperature on the counter for 30 minutes before baking.
Freezing instructions: You can also freeze your hamburger noodle casserole before baking as well. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil, then freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw and bake.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: ground beef noodle casserole, ground beef pasta casserole, old fashioned hamburger noodle casserole