Made with just 6 ingredients, this Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream is a little bit tart and a little bit sweet but completely bursting with strawberry flavor. Enjoy in the summer months or year-round, thanks to the frozen strawberries.
- 12 ounces frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pre-freeze your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions (usually overnight).
- Combine the frozen strawberries and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until the berries are a granular consistency.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine 2 cups of heavy whipping cream with the sugar and brown sugar and the strawberries. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently just until the mixture starts to boil.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-proof bowl. Stir in the remaining 1 cup heavy whipping cream and the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 2-3 hours until the mixture is completely cooled. Mixture may thicken, restir prior to churning.
- Add your mixture to the ice cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Churn the ice cream for about 8-10 minutes or until the mixture is thickened to a soft-serve like consistency.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 4-6 hours until firm. I recommend allowing the ice cream to soften for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Fresh strawberries: This recipe has been tested using fresh strawberries. I found the flavor is better with frozen strawberries.
- Ice cream maker: Note the ice cream maker should be pre-frozen according to the manufacturer’s instructions. The liquid mixture is about 4 cups and it produces 6 cups prepared.
- Make ahead and storage suggestions: The ice cream mixer can be made 12-24 hours in advance. After it’s been churned, store in a covered, freezer-safe container. It is best served within 2-3 days of making.
- Heavy whipping cream alternatives: This recipe has not been tested with whole milk, but if you do not have heavy whipping, whole milk is the next best option.
- Light brown sugar: If you don’t have brown sugar, just replace that amount with additional granulated sugar
- Category: Ice Cream
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade ice cream, churn ice cream, easy strawberry ice cream