This Hot Fudge Poke Cake is a chocolate cake, layered in hot fudge sauce, banana and vanilla pudding, whipped cream, strawberries, and toppings of your choice.
For the Cake:
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) sour cream
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (55 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (5g) espresso powder (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (355 ml) hot brewed coffee
For the Filling
- 1 can (14oz ) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12oz) hot fudge sauce
For the Topping
- 1 ½ cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (81g) powdered sugar
- Toppings of choice: Sprinkles, nuts, cherries, bananas, etc
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Then add the remaining dry ingredients and coffee. Beat until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the filling:
- Warm the hot fudge until it’s thin enough to stir. In a mixing bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk and hot fudge sauce and mix to combine.
- Take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake. Pour the sauce mixture over the cake.
For the topping:
- Make the whipped cream: Place the mixing bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to chill. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the chilled bowl and use an electric mixer to beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream thickens to soft peaks.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and continue beating on high speed until stiff peaks start to form. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake. Garnish with toppings.
Storage instructions:Fully assembled poke cake will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hot fudge sundae cake, easy poke cake, chocolate poke cake