Learn how to make chocolate ganache step-by-step. This easy ganache recipe is perfect for dipping, frosting, and glazing. You’ll never run out of ways to use it in your favorite chocolate desserts!
- 8 ounces dark or semi-sweet chocolate (see notes)
- 1 cup (236ml/8oz) heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream)
- Chop a chocolate bar into small pieces, and place it in a medium-sized heat-proof bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan over low heat until gently simmering, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Pour over the chopped chocolate, covering it completely. Place a piece of plastic wrap over top and allow it to sit, untouched, for about 5 minutes.
- Stir the mixture until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Use immediately or cool to room temperature.
- This recipe will work with either dark or semi-sweet chocolate bars or chocolate chips. The ratio of chocolate to cream will not work for milk chocolate or white chocolate.
- 1:1 Ratio Ganache: 8 ounces chocolate to 1 cup (8 ounces/236ml) heavy cream. Ideal for thick pourable ganache, fillings, and frosting.
- 1:2 Ration Ganache: 8 ounces chocolate to 1/2 cup (4 ounces/118ml) heavy cream. Ideal for making truffles and thicker fillings.
- 2:1 Ratio Ganache: 4 ounces chocolate to 1 cup (8 ounces/236ml) heavy cream. Best for glazing and drizzling over cakes and ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate ganache, chocolate ganache recipe, how to make chocolate ganache