The perfect, moist lemon muffins bursting with tart blackberries
For the muffins
- 9 oz Fresh Blackberries, rinsed
- 2½ C Flour
- 1 C Granulated sugar
- 4 tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Large egg
- ½ C Butter (melted)
- 1 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 1 C Buttermilk
- ¼ C Sour cream
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed)
- Zest from 1 Lemon
For the streusal
- 4 tbsp Butter, melted
- 6 tbsp Flour
- 5 tbsp Brown sugar
For the glaze
- 1½ C Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Milk
- Wash and rinse blackberries under water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease your muffin pan with Crisco or cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together flour. Measure ¼ C of the sifted flour and pour over blackberries. Gently stir to coat the blackberries in flour.
- Take your remaining flour and add sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, beat the egg using a whisk until light and fluffy. Add melted butter and whisk together.
- Continue to add vanilla extract, buttermilk and sour cream and whisk until smooth. Add fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest.
- Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to mix just until combined. Your batter will be thick, but be careful not to over mix! Fold in the blackberries last.
- To prepare streusel topping, combine melted butter with all dry ingredients. Use a pastry cutter or fork to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until no large chunks remain.
- Fill your muffin tins all the way to the top with batter. Add 1 tablespoon of streusel to the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425°, then reduce heat to 350° and bake for another 16-20 minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 15 minutes. Baking times will vary by oven.
- Check your muffins for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the muffin. If your toothpick comes out clean, your muffin is done. Allow muffins to cool completely in the pan.
- For the glaze. Combine powdered sugar with lemon juice and milk. Whisk until smooth. Add additional powdered sugar to thicken or additional milk to make thinner.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled muffins.
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lemon Muffins, Blackberry Muffins, Easy Muffin Recipe, Breakfast ideas