You’ll love this easy Lemon Bread is soft, moist and packed with lemon flavor.
For the bread
- 1 cup (140g) all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (143g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (118ml) sour cream
- 1 tablespoons (30ml) lemon juice
- 1 large lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) lemon extract
- 1 – 1 ½ cups (130-195g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2–4 tablespoons (30-120ml) milk
- Additional lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside. You can also line the pan with parchment paper if desired.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
Next add the wet ingredients: eggs, oil, sour cream, lemon juice, zest and extract. Beat all the ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Glaze: Combined 1 cup powdered sugar with 2 tablespoons milk and whisk to combine. Add additional milk to thin it out until desired consistency. If it becomes too thin, add additional powdered sugar. Add additional lemon zest on top if desired.
- Sour cream substitute: Greek or plain yogurt is the best option
- Lemon extract substitute: Add an additional teaspoon of lemon juice
- Freezing this bread: You can make this loaf ahead of time and freeze for up to one month. Bake and cool the bread completely, do not add a glaze. Tightly wrap twice in plastic wrap and store in the freeze. Thaw to room temperature prior to serving. To add the glaze, wait until the bread has completely thawed.
- How to keep this bread fresh: Store this in an airtight container at room temperature. If you’d like to prepare it ahead of time, you can prepare it up to two days in advance, store in an airtight container and add the glaze prior to serving.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lemon Bread, Quick bread recipe, Brunch recipe, Lemon loaf