These Lemon Sugar Cookie bars are these thick and chewy lemon sugar cookies frosting with vanilla buttercream.
For the cookie bars:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tarter
For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Zest 1 lemon
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Combine butter with sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the eggs, lemon extract and lemon extract. Mix into the butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Slowly add it into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough forms.
- Press the cookie dough into a 9-inch by 13-inch pan. I prefer to line the bottom with parchment paper or cookie spray.
- Bake at 375°F 18-20 minutes. Allow the cookie bars to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Cut butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter.
- Next Add 2 teaspoons heavy whipping cream and mix to combine.
- Finally add the remaining powdered sugar, heavy cream and vanilla bean paste and whip it on high for at least 2 minutes until it’s light and fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cookie bars. Garnish with lemon zest. Slice and enjoy.
These bars should be slightly underdone in the middle. If you’re using vanilla extract instead of lemon, consider zesting 2 full lemons into the dough to get enough lemon flavor.