This Mexican Chocolate Pumpkin Pie is a marbled pumpkin chocolate pie with Mexican spice and a spiced chocolate ganache.
- 1 prebaked pie crust
For the Filling
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate or Mexican-style sweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup half and half
For the Ganache
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- 1–2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare your piecrust recipe in a 9-inch pie plate. Poke the bottom of the crust with a fork. Add pie weights (or beans or rice) and prebake the pie crust for 10-12 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and wait for oven to cool off.
- For the filling: In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and butter. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and cayenne pepper and stir to combine. Add the pumpkin puree & eggs and stir until combined. Slowly stir in the half and half, mixing until all ingredients are well blended.
- Separate out 1 ½ cups of the pumpkin filling and stir in the melted chocolate to create the chocolate layer.
- Pour each filling into the pie crust, alternating the layers to create a marbling effect.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes to 1 hour, keeping a close eye on the pie the last 15 minutes, the center of the pie should be set and not giggly. Cover the edges with foil or a pie sield if they are starting to burn. Cool pie completely and chill for 2 hours before serving.
- For the ganache: In a small bowl, combine the chocolate and heavy cream. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle the chocolate over the pie before serving.
- Recipe credit: Better Homes and Gardens 100 Best Pumpkin Recipes
- Storing: A fully assembled chocolate pumpkin pie will last for 3-4 days in the fridge.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade pumpkin pie, best pumpkin pie, thanksgiving dessert idea