This creamy Nutella Frosting is super smooth and light as air. An easy-to-make buttercream you can pair with cake, cupcakes, cookies and more.
- 2 cups(454g) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 heaping cup or about 1 jar (13oz/371g) Nutella hazelnut spread
- 7 cups (911-1041g) powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons(45ml) heavy whipping cream or milk
- 1 tablespoon(15ml) pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Cut the butter into 1 tablespoon size pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 3-4 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter looks light in color. Next, beat the Nutella until well mixed.
- Alternate adding 2-3 cups of powdered sugar at a time with the liquid ingredients: vanilla extract & heavy cream. Ensure all the powdered sugar is well combined and beat for 2-3 minutes before adding additional powdered sugar.
- Once all ingredients have been added, whip for 3-4 minutes until the frosting is light and airy. If the frosting is too thick, add additional heavy whipping cream 1 tablespoon at a time. Add a pinch of salt if needed to cut the sweetness.
- How much does this frosting make?
- You can generously cover a 3-layer 8-inch cake with this frosting
- For 24 cupcakes or a sheet cake, cut the recipe in half
- How to prepare ahead of time and store:
- Room temperature: This recipe can be made and stored at room temp for 24 hours in advance.
- Fridge: Store in the fridge for up to 7 days before serving.
- Freezer: You can also freeze this frosting in an airtight container for up to a month.
- Storing frosting cupcakes and cakes:
- can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature as long as you don’t live in a hot and humid environment, then refrigerate and serve them at room temperature.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate hazelnut frosting, chocolate frosting, nutella dessert