Moist, spongy, smooth and buttery, this Easy Rum Cake is a charming dessert that you’ll want to bust out for every special occasion. It has just the right amount of spiced rum flavor to make everyone at the table want a second slice!
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (285g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (118ml) sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup (118ml) spiced rum, such as Bacardi
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup (113g) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (59ml) water
- 1 cup (190g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (118ml) spiced rum
Make the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour a 10-cup size bundt pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs, egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the liquid ingredients (milk and rum) at a time and beat until well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter in prepared pan and bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 30 minutes.
Make the Glaze
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Then stir in the water and sugar. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes on medium while stirring frequently to prevent burning. Mixture will become thick and bubbly as the water evaporates.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the rum until combined.
- Remove the cake from the pan, ensuring it won’t stick. Then place it back in the pan and poke holes with a fork or toothpick all over the bottom of the cake. Pour the glaze over the cake. Allow the cake to sit in the pan for 30 minutes and then remove. You make have to use a knife or long toothpick to help loosen the cake from the middle and edges. Then allow the cake to cool completely.
- To Store: Keep cake in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature or 1 week in the fridge. Cold cake makes for enhanced flavor with maintained moistness.
- To Freeze: Cut cake in half or individual slices, wrap each portion in plastic wrap and freeze in an airtight container. Frozen cake will last for up to 2 months. Unwrap and thaw in the fridge or on the counter before enjoying.
- View the original rum cake recipe here
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: alcohol cake, spiced rum, rum cake bacardi