This homemade Red Velvet cake is naturally dyed with red beets and it’s very easy to make. It’s a moist bundt cake with a hint of cocoa and a cream cheese filling.
For the cake
- 1 ¾ cups (333g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1 jar (15oz) Aunt Nellie’s Sliced Beets , pureed (about a heaping ¾ cup)
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour (or 1:1 GF all-purpose flour substitute, see notes)
- ¼ cup (28g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder, plus extra for the pan
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4.2g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 cup (236ml) buttermilk
- 2/3 cup (158ml) hot water
For the filling
- 8 ounces full fat cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup (63g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) pure vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour the bundt pan with a combination of flour and cocoa powder.
- Drain beets; discard liquid then puree beets using a food processor.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and vinegar. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed.Add pureed beets and beat until well combined.
- In medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined . Add half the dry ingredients to the batter, beating on low speed while pouring in the buttermilk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients and the water. Continue beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
For the filling:
- remove wrapper and place cream cheese in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 20 seconds to soften
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with the egg, sugar and vanilla extract. Mix all of the ingredients until they are well combined and smooth.
- Pour 1/2 of the cake batter into the prepared pan. Then spread the cheesecake filling over top and swirl.
- Pour in the remaining cake batter. Bake at 350° F for 40-45 minutes. Note that baking times will vary by oven and pan type. To test the cake for doneness, insert a knife into the cake, if the knife comes out clean, the cake is done. Remove from the pan. Dust with powdered sugar. Cool completely before serving.
- Bundt pans: Your bundt pan should be at least 10-cup size. Remember that baking times will vary by oven, pan type and size.
- About the beets: When pureed, a jar of Aunt Nellie’s beets will make a heaping ¾ cup. Not all brands produce the same results. You need at least 2/3 cup of pureed beets for this recipe. Be sure to drain the liquid prior to pureeing.
- Gluten-free: This recipe has been tested with a 1:1 (measure for measure) GF All-purpose flour. My preferred brand is King Arthur Flour. When looking for a gluten-free flour, make sure it has xanthan gum included in the flour.
- Buttermilk substitute: Use 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar and then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes and then stir prior to adding into the batter.
- To store this cake: Place cake in an airtight container (such as a cake carrier) at room temperature.
- Red velvet cake when naturally dyed with beets will appear a dark red/brownish color when baked. If you’d like a brighter red color, you can add some red food coloring to the batter.
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Red Velvet Cake, Red Velvet Cake with cream cheese filling, Red Velvet cake with beets, Naturally dyed red velvet cake