- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, crushed
- Allow the butter to come to room temperature or slightly firmer. For quick results, you can microwave the butter for 10-12 seconds.
- Beat the butter on medium speed until the butter is lighter in color and fluffy, scraping down the bowl occasionally.
- Sift the cocoa powder through a fine sieve. Slowly add the cocoa powder and beat it into the butter.
- Add the vanilla extract and continuing beating until it’s incorporated.
- Next, add the powered sugar one cup at a time, beating on medium-low speed until incorporated.
- As the frosting starts to thicken, add the heavy whipping cream and increase the mixing speed to medium-high. Continuing beating for 2-3 minutes; this will help the frosting to be smoother and creamier.
- Use a food processor to grind the mini peanut butter cups into small pieces. Finally, add the crust peanut butter cups to frosting and mix to incorporate. Use a large ice cream scoop to place the frosting on top of the cupcake.