This chocolate cake is filled with a decadent coconut caramel cream cheese and frosted with a fudge dark chocolate buttercream. It is piled high with toasted coconut and drizzled with caramel and chocolate.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- ¼ C Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- ¾ C Vegetable oil
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 C Light sour cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- For the filling
- 2 pk Cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ C Caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp Heavy whipping cream
- ¾ C Toasted Coconut
- For the frosting
- 1 C (2 sticks) Unsalted butter, softened
- ½ C Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 3 C Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- For the topping
- 1 C Toasted coconut
- Caramel sauce
- Hot fudge sauce
- Samoa Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 8” pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper (optional).
- Combine cake mix, cocoa powder, vegetable oil, eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly, turning the batter over to mix.Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake at 350°F for 22-28 minutes or until the center has risen. Insert a toothpick into the center of the cake and if the tooth pick comes out clean, the cake is done.Remove from oven and all to cool completely.
- While the oven is still on, toast 2 cups of sweetened coconut until lightly brown 10-20 minutes. It is best to toast on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Once cooled, cut the dome off the top of the cake so the cake is flat on top. Freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow cream cheese to soften to room temperature. Beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Then add the granulated sugar and continue beating until smooth.
- Slowly add caramel sauce and heavy whipping cream. Beat on low speed until liquid is mixed into cream cheese and increase speed to medium-high. Beat for another 60 seconds until light and smooth. Add toasted coconut and mix into cream cheese.
- Layer caramel cream cheese on top of the bottom layer of cake. Put second layer on top and freeze for 20-30 minutes.
- Allow butter to soften to room temperature. Beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add cocoa powder and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase speed to medium high and beat until cocoa is mixed into butter.
- Reduce speed to low, and slowly add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Alternate with heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Once powdered sugar is incorporated, increase speed to medium high and beat for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Remove cake from the freezer and frost the outside of the cake. Top with toasted coconut and gently press on top the top of the cake.
- Cut Samoa cookies in half and align along the bottom of the cake.
- Heat hot fudge sauce for 30 seconds and stir. Drizzle top of cake with hot fudge and caramel sauce.
- Keep cake refrigerated. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
- Cake recipe adapted from The Cake Mix Doctor. If using two 9″ pans, baking times will be altered accordingly.
- Please watch coconut carefully- baking (toasting) times will always vary depending on the quality and moisture in the coconut and oven temperature.
- Feel free to use your favorite chocolate cake recipe instead