These Molasses Cookies are the perfect Christmas cookies! They are slightly crispy on the edges, chewy in the middle with a kick of ginger flavor and rolled in sugar for a sweet finish.
- ½ cup (113g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (95g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (110g) packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup (59ml) molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup (245g) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoons cream of tartar
- Additional ½ cup granulated sugar to roll the cookies in
- In your stand mixer, combine the butter with the granulated and brown sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together.
- Add the molasses, eggs and vanilla extract. Mix into the butter and sugar until the eggs are well beaten.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredient. Slowly add into batter and beat on medium low speed until well combined and dough starts to form.
- Place the remaining ½ cup sugar in a separate bowl. Use a large cookie scoop and scoop cookie dough into sugar, roll around to coat the cookie. Place the cookies on a silicone lined baking sheet. Refrigerate dough for a minimum of 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. If your cookies have been refrigerated longer than 2 hours, allow them to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before baking. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart on your baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° F for 10-12 minutes. Allow cookie to cool on the baking sheet for several minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Storage: Keep stored in an airtight container.
Freezing instructions: Cookie dough can be frozen and thawed prior to bake. Baked cookies can also be frozen in an airtight container.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Soft Molasses Cookies, ginger molasses cookies, Christmas cookies