These Golden yellow eggnog cupcakes are spiked with rum and topped with a creamy eggnog buttercream.
For the cupcake
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¾ cup (333g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon (10g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (59ml) spiced rum
- ¾ cup (177ml) eggnog
- ½ cup (118ml) light sour cream
For the frosting
- 1 ½ cups (339g) unsalted butter
- 5 cups (650g) powdered sugar
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) eggnog
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375°. Remove the butter and eggs from fridge and allow to come to room temperature for 30 minutes, or soften in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, ensuring that each egg is well beaten. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining dry ingredients and stir to combine. Add half the flour mixture followed by the rum, and mix just until combined.
- Pour in remaining dry ingredients, eggnog and sour cream and mix on medium speed until well combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full.
- Bake at 375° F for 14-16 minutes. Test cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are finished. Allow to cool completely.
For the frosting:
- Remove butter from fridge and allow to come to room temperature, or soften in the microwave for 15 seconds. Using a stand mixer, beat the butter for several minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and slowly increase speed from low to medium. As the frosting becomes thicker, slowly add eggnog. Beat for several minutes until light and fluffy. Add nutmeg at any point.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens 15th Edition Cookbook yellow cake recipe
- Alcohol free option: Swap out the rum by replacing it with eggnog.
- Storing these cupcakes: These are best stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They are best when eaten within two days of preparing.
- Freezing these cupcakes: If you need to freeze these cupcakes, I recommend freezing the cupcakes unfrosted if possible. Bake and cool completely, flash freeze for 15 minutes and then transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to one month. Thaw to room temperature prior to frosting.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Christmas Dessert, Eggnog Cupcake, Cupcake Recipe, Christmas Cupcakes