These beautiful little Spritz Cookies are so easy to make with just 6 ingredients! There are tons of tasty flavor options and fun ways to decorate these soft and buttery holiday treats.
- 1 cup (226g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (126g) granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) vanilla extract (or almond)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter with the sugar and beat on medium speed until well creamed together, this should take several minutes.
- Next add the egg yolks and vanilla extract and beat until well combined.
- Then add the dry ingredients and beat until the dough forms.
- If you plan to color the dough, separate, and dye each color as desired. You’ll need just a couple drops of gel color. You can mix by hand or return it to the mixer to beat the together.
- Following the manufactures directions, set your shape in the press, then spoon the dough into the cookie press, trying to eliminate as many of the air pockets as possible. Gently taping the press on the counter or using a spoon to press the dough inside will help.
- Hold the cookie press perpendicular to the cookie sheet and press out one cookie. These can be placed fairly close together as the dough does not spread.
- Add sprinkles if desired.
- Bake at 350°F for 7-9 minutes. See notes regarding baking time. Remove from oven and let them cool on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Flavoring the dough: Free free to use a combination of vanilla and almond extract. Other seasonal flavors like lemon, anise—whatever you’d like! You could also use a combination of vanilla and peppermint extracts for added festiveness.
- To Store: Keep cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- To Freeze: Place cooled cookies on a lined baking sheet and flash-freeze until frozen solid. Then, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 4 months. Thaw on the counter before enjoying.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: spritz cookies, butter cookies, traditional christmas cookies