This Strawberry Milkshake Poke Cake is a chocolate cake soaked in sweetened condensed milk and topped with a strawberry milk whipped cream. It’s the perfect amount of sweet to satisfy your cravings.
For the Cake
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) sour cream
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup (55 g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 ½ teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (296 ml) hot brewed coffee
For the Topping and Filling
- 1 can (14oz) Sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups (354ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup (about a 1oz bag) freeze-dried strawberries
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons (21g) malted milk powder, sifted
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Then add the remaining dry ingredients and coffee. Beat until all of the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
For the Filling
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- Pour the can of sweetened condensed milk all over top of the cake and spread gently.
For the Topping
- Use a food processor the grind the strawberries into a fine powder. Sift before adding the whipped cream.
- Place metal bowl and whisk in freezer for about 5-10 minutes until chilled. Pour the heavy cream into mixing bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form.
- Add the powdered sugar, malt powder and freeze-dried strawberries and mix on low speed just until incorporated and then increase speed to high and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake and garnish with fresh strawberries, sprinkles or hot fudge sauce.
- Sour cream can be substituted with Greek or Plain yogurt but it adds moisture and texture to the cake, so don’t skip it.
- Brewed coffee helps bloom the cocoa, you won’t notice the coffee flavor, I’m simply enhances the chocolate flavor. If you have to, you can substitute it with milk.
- Freeze-dried strawberries can be substituted with 1-2 tablespoons instant strawberry jello
- Category: Cake
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Poke Cake, Easy Poke Cake, Chocolate Strawberry Cake