This is the BEST Chocolate frosting recipe! It’s a homemade chocolate buttercream frosting made with cocoa powder. It’s the perfect chocolate frosting for piping cupcakes and for decorating cakes.
- 1 1/2 cups (345g) (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup (111g) cocoa powder
- 5 cups (650g) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (59ml) heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- Cut butter into pieces, 1 tablespoon size. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter looks light in color and has more volume.
- Sift the cocoa powder into mixing bowl. Turn the mixer on slow speed and beat until cocoa power is mixed into butter.
- Add 2 cups powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into butter and add the vanilla.
- Continuing adding the additional powdered sugar, 2 cup at a time and alternating with the heavy whipping cream and beat on low speed until sugar is incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for minute before adding more powdered sugar.
- After all the powdered sugar has been added, increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 2 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting.
- Category: Frosting
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cupcakes worth
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 24.6g
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated Fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrates: 27.1g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Protein: .9g
- Cholesterol: 31.9mg