This mouthwatering Sinful Triple Chocolate Poke cake is a chocolate cake, drenched in hot fudge sauce and chocolate pudding and it is topped with a chocolate whipped cream. There could not be more chocolate here!
For the cake
- 1 ½ cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup (118 ml) light sour cream
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (55 g) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon (5g) espresso powder (optional)
- 2 ½ teaspoons (9 g) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 ¼ cup (355 ml) coffee
For the topping
- 1 jar (8oz) hot fudge sauce (optional)
- 1 box (3.4oz) Hersey’s Dark Chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cups (414ml) milk
For the Whipped Cream:
- 2 cups (472ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups hot chocolate mix (about 10 sleeves of instant hot chocolate)
- Additional hot fudge sauce for drizzling
- Mini chocolate chips for garnish
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color.
- Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Then add half the dry ingredients followed by half of the coffee and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Finally add the remaining dry ingredients, mixing on low speed while pouring in the remaining coffee and beating until all of the ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 26-28 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, you cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While the cake is still warm, take the end of a wooden spoon or another round object and poke holes all over the top of your cake.
- optional: Heat the jar of hot fudge sauce in the microwave for about 30 seconds until you can stir it and thin it out. You may need an additional 30 seconds. Pour the entire jar of hot fudge sauce on the top of cake and allow it to absorb in the cake until cake is cooled. Let set until completely cooled.
- When the cake has cooled, prepare the pudding layer by mixing a package of instant dark chocolate pudding with cold milk. Before the pudding sets, pour it over the top of the cake and put the cake in the fridge to let the pudding set, about 15 minutes.
- Prepare the whipped cream. Put the bowl and whisk attachment in the freezer for 5-10 minutes to get them really cold (this step is optional, but a common practice I use.). In the cold mixing bowl, beat the heavy whipping cream on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add the hot chocolate mix and increase speed to medium high. Beat until stiff peak form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the top of cake. You can top you cake with a chocolate drizzle and some mini chocolate chips
- The original recipe was made with cake mix: 1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 box instant chocolate pudding (3.4oz), 3 large eggs, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 cup milk (or water), 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup light sour cream. Mix all ingredients together and make for 24-28 minutes. This is for the cake recipe only. Follow the remaining ingredients and instructions for the filling and topping. Note you’ll need 2 boxes (3.4oz) of pudding if you’re making the cake mix version.
- Make ahead of time: This cake can be prepared 1-2 days in advance and kept refrigerated. The whipped topping is best served fresh if possible
- Substitute for sour cream: I would recommend substituting with nonfat Greek yogurt
- Substitute for coffee: If you do not want to use coffee, then I suggest using warm water
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Poke Cake, Chocolate Cake, Pudding Cake, Chocolate Poke Cake, Poke Cake Recipe, Pudding Poke Cake, Cake Recipe