This Yellow Cupcake Recipe from scratch is a better-than-cake-mix yellow cake. It’s a classic birthday cupcake.
For the cupcake
- 1 1/2 cups (285g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons (28g) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (118ml) sour cream
- 2 ½ cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (7.5g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4g) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5g) salt
- 1 1/3 cup (315ml) buttermilk or milk
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon heavy whipping cream (or milk)
For the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, vegetable oil, butter, eggs and egg yolks and vanilla extract. Beat on medium speed until the eggs and oil are well incorporated and the batter is lighter in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl as needed. Next mix in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients. Alternate adding half the dry ingredients and half the buttermilk at a time and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate. Then add remaining dry ingredients and buttermilk and beat until well combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl and stir the batter from the bottom to the top to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, divide the batter evenly, filling each liner 2/3 full. Bake at 350°F for 14-16 minutes. Test the cupcakes for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cupcake. If the toothpick comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Cool Completely.
For the frosting:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate in the microwave at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is melted. Stir until completely smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. Beat until butter look light in color. Next, beat the cocoa powder into the butter until well mixed.
- Alternate adding 1 cup of powdered sugar at a time with the liquid ingredients: vanilla extract & heavy cream. Ensure the powdered sugar is well combined, and whip for 1-2 minutes before adding more powdered sugar.
- Next, pour in the melted chocolate and beat on slow speed until incorporated. Then, increase the speed to medium-high and beat for another 2-3 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Use a large piping bag fitted with a large open star tip to frost the cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles.
- Sour cream substitute: use a plain or Greek yogurt
- Buttermilk substitute: You can use milk or make homemade buttermilk. To make homemade buttermilk, use 1 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar and then add enough milk to make 1 cup. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes and then stir.
- Storage suggestions: Whenever possible, cupcakes should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature. If you live in a hot and humid environment, you may want to store this in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.
- To make a 9×13 inch cake see this yellow cake recipe.
- To make a layer cake, here is my yellow layer cake.
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Yellow Cupcakes, Yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting, Birthday Cupcakes, Cupcake recipe, easy cupcakes